Monday, March 9, 2009

split personality...


So...
If you know me, you have caught on to my recent triumph
.
But if you know me, you also know I'm a fast lovin' lycra gal.
I had an exhilarating exha
usting 24 hours a few weeks ago,
big decisions were made in a 12 hour time frame.

And the first in the series is my fast lovin' lycra bicycle.

lil'C and I rode nearly 900 miles last summer and it became clear to me that though we had been good together, we had outgrown each other. I put H to work in spec'ing out what only a man like him can so obsessively do, and we came up with a few candidates. In the end, it was about the right bike at the right price at the right place
- so what if she was Miami green? I refrained from the pink chain, pink bottle cage, and pink seat and kept her true to her look and now I actually kind of dig her, she's her own bicycle.


The call came 2 weeks later when I conveniently had the day off and Josh put me through the complete Fit Kit Fitting. I loved the experience, I loved that he knew what he was doing, I love that he treated me with respect, and I loved that I was actually doing this. I have been a bit intimidated to get a road bicycle mainly by the fact that I am a comfort gal - I like comfortable shoes, comfortable clothes, and yes - comfortable bicycles. That's why I had lil'c. I have a back problem - I go completely numb in the lower right side of my back when I ride a bicycle ~ I have for years. A road bike seems like the worst decision for a comfort gal like me. But we've spent a little time together on pinkie and I have to say, I think she's more comfortable for me than lil'C. The first month on the roads will be the real test for the two of us, but I can already tell she's going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

I'm not about winning races, or impressing everyone with my bling, or having the best bike out there. But what I am about is about having a blast, sometimes taking it slow, sometimes taking it fast, wearing lycra, wearing ordinary clothes, wearing a helmet, wearing a headband, riding a 19 lb. bike, riding a 40+ pound bike.
I am far from a one-dimensional gal, other things await me just behind the winds of March.