Sunday, June 13, 2010

in the eye of the beholder...


Finding beauty
in the everyday
can sometimes be a challenge
and sometimes
a state of mind.

I wasn't really in the mood this year.
The forecast was ominous,

the air had a chill,
I was tired,

I wasn't thrilled about the journey.


Years past my rides have been
spectacular - SF,

scenic - the old job,

steady ~ always.

I'd ridden this route

when I first got my job

and it's not the most
spectacular,
nor is it the most scenic.
In fact today when all the sirens
were blaring
I was pretty sure a toxic
situation was brewing
and thought
to myself
perhaps this bicycle commute
was not good for my health.
Indeed, come to find out,
there had been a little incident
going on over my shoulder.


But I made it
to work,

no problem,
it is really quite an easy commute.

I was proud of myself for yet again
taking part in what is becoming
my annual Solo Bike to Work Day
.
Yet again the only one at the office,
yet again glad I did it.


In the end,
me and my bicycles,

we can do anything,

we make it a better day.

I do not need a commute to work

on a bicycle

to convince me
bicycles are my
saving grace.
But it doesn't hurt
to remind
myself now and again
it is the grace
that saves me.