Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's been awhile...


If you have ever biked towards the Gate at 6 pm on a summer night with the Wind pushing you back, and then around the towers on the Bridge with the wind scarily pushing you towards the ocean or the road, you will know why I biked in to work in the morning and took the Ferry home at the end of the day. Well, that was two years ago, and my life has changed significantly. There will be no beautiful ocean views tomorrow, no soft fog lifting in the morning revealing the sun over the City as I ride 1 1/2 hours into work, but there will also be no hill headed up out of Sausalito into the Headlands. The last two years we lived in Marin I was able to bike to work on Bike to Work Day The first year it was raining the whole way in, but I was invigorated - I love being up and about before a city is awake, I feel like I have a place all to myself - and in Marin and the City, that was a wonderful gift. Tomorrow I hop back on the bike and ride in the 3 miles to work. There is a hill on my way, but it does not require a long steady sweaty climb that requires lycra (sorry 1 1/2 hours on a bike riding steadily and as fast as possible is not conducive to looking good in attractive clothing on a bike any heavier than the one I have) and there will be a bridge, but it is for trains.
Yes, life - it has changed. Tomorrow's ride will be in 'normal' clothes, but sadly not yet on the Dutch-style bike. That's okay, the Cannondale has been lonely this year - this cold weather knows no end and neither of us has been in the mood of late - we want to be warm! I am looking forward to my new Bike to Work Day commute even though the views will be quite a bit different, I will try to embrace some Dutch-style riding as I envision myself in a few months gracefully riding my way to work in warm weather. There may not be an ocean, but there is a house, and a yard, and a 10 minute commute, and less stress. These are the trade-offs one makes in life...for now...