Monday, September 29, 2008

a stitch in time...


Creative Week Installment 4
I'm not quite sure how it came about, but I am pretty sure it is partially thanks to these two brilliantly talented women that I got interested again in sewing.

Lotta & Amy
There was a time in my younger years that I recall being able to sew. I do not remember the teacher, I do not remember the learning, I just remember the doing. Likely my mother was the teacher - it was her quirky Singer whose pedal had no speed control (slow...slow...fastfastfastfast...slow...) that I crafted many projects on. I specifically remember rifling through many sewing patterns at a local sewing store and picking out my very own outfits to sew. I suppose 'normal' kids were at basketball practice or out watching movies at their friend's houses, but I was perfectly content to be doing my own thing. It was good fun to work on my sewing projects and so satisfying to be able to wear something I made by myself. It must be that feeling I desire to tap into again. I suppose now all the other kids are out at their kid's basketball games or watching movies with their friends, but I am still perfectly content to be doing my
own thing...

I had forgotten my interest until I started seeing all of the beautiful things Lotta and Amy were making. They are so talented and they make me want to get in touch with my Swedish roots and live in a funky modern house in Ohio - or at least capture those things and turn Minnesota into my own version. I did after all travel to Sweden to get in touch with my heritage and paint my living room an Amy-inspired blue.

So, this Spring with the giddy excitement of the girl I used to be, but a much improved older and better me, H went with me to pick out my very own sewing machine. The Bernette is about the only thing that makes me look forward to the winter. I can't wait to get to know her better and learn all she has to offer.

This summer I did attempt my first bike skirt, which I feel I made a successful prototype of. I look forward to mastering the skirt over the winter and making more creations for riding around on my new bikes next summer...
(Yes, I said bikeS....more on that later...).