Thursday, March 17, 2011

how the heck did this happen?


age 7, one of the best birthday gifts ever
the Ramblin' Rose


well,
it happened...
like a train moving down the tracks
with it's light beaming directly in my eyes.
today
I turned 40.
how the heck did this happen?


not one to look back in life and dwell,
I have been doing more of it lately

and find myself in a bit of a melancholy mood.

I have a 40 year old baby book

my mother so sweetly put together

oh so many years ago

and found myself looking through it

on the eve of the big day.

What details lay here?

I was born at 8:45 am

I was 8 lbs 3 3/4 oz, 20" at birth.

I smiled spontaneously during my 3rd week.

True to form, I held off on saying my first words

as long as possible - until my 16th month.


when we were living in NorCal
H and I both read Any Human Heart.

It is likely the best book either of us have ever read.

we have held on to it knowing we will go back to it again and again.

recently this book was brought to life by PBS

and I found myself moving through the mini-series

in my state of melancholy.

still cognizant of

how short life is,

how quickly time goes,

and how important the now is.


I get the mid-life crisis thing,
I think H and I have been there
for awhile.

How I chose to embrace it

is my decision.

time to
move forward

thoughtfully,

with consciousness,

and with foresight.


Happy Birthday Me!
May I Make it a good one...