Tuesday, October 26, 2010

everyday necessities...


At the beginning of the Summer
we knew it was time to destroy the bathroom
before it destroyed us.

Keeping in mind who our house is

and blending it
with who we are

was challenging.
But one thing I have known since we moved in
is that I want a white bathroom and a white kitchen.
I am half way there.

When the remodel was finished
we had no curtains,
just white typing paper 2/3 of the way up from the bottom,

held in place with blue tape for a few weeks.
This gave me time to think about what kind of curtain
I wanted to make.
Then it struck me,
I love the idea of being able
to see out the top 1/3 of the window
and see the sky and the trees and the
Sunshine,
the ever important Sunshine.

I decided to make a top panel that was sheer

and a bottom panel that was private.
The top is made of 100% Belgian Linen that I acquired from work.
The bottom is this absolutely gorgeous Japanese fabric
called Ecrulat Lycéenne by Kiyohara
.
I plan to also finish a white shower curtain
with the Ecrulat Lycéenne on the bottom hem over the winter.



I love this fabric so much
I made a little personal clutch
for...female things.
For years I have used this totally ugly clutch
someone gave me in high school.
Why did it take me so long to rid the ugly in my purse
and add the pretty to my days?!!

I plan to make another small personal clutch for pills
and a few bags I haven't decided a design on yet.


It is things like this
that make a house a home,

the everyday necessities a bit more special,
and fill the time and mind
during what will be the dark of winter.