Thursday, December 4, 2008

winter riding...


Not all forms of winter bicycle riding involve standard movement and fresh air.
Winter makes people fat. Not phat, but fat.
I miss the Summer Me.
But I have resisted long enough - it's trainer time.
I have always tried to offset my winter weight by some focused indoor activity on my bike, and that has to involve setting it up on a trainer. I have always done this, and even found in good ol' CA I had to do it (it rains A LOT in Marin in the winter - A LOT!).
To keep the boredom at bay one needs visual stimulation during indoor rides - and since we do not have cable, tivo, or a tv in the 'bike/craft' room, I found a great use for my work computer! (why won't Netflix have online movies for a Mac? They are based in the Bay Area for Pete's sake!).
I said it at the beginning of this year, and I will say it again, this movie is one of the best movies I have ever seen.
It is visually stunning, emotionally wrenching, and beautifully told.
I am glad being indoors allowed me some time to unwind, forget about my work frustrations, burn some calories, and watch a movie that leaves me speechless and humbled.

And don't worry...lil'C and I have been dabbling in some outdoor riding too...