Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Anything goes...







Sweden Installment 4
One thing I fell in love with instantly in Stockholm was the real people - no attitude, just being themselves on bikes. In Stockholm anything goes. Lycra for those commuting greater distances, or those who just like lycra, helmets for those who want to wear them, old Kronan's for those who chose style over speed, and normal folks just going to work on their bikes. Though looking good on a bike is great, I'm just happy to see everyday folks riding their bikes. We surmised that there must be some sort of helmet initiative going on in Stockholm because at least half to 3/4 of the people were wearing them; some people (young and old) were still choosing not to wear them - to each their own. Sweden felt a lot like the Midwest in many ways - and the plethora of bike styles was one area I have to say I 'got'. By going to Sweden, and previously Norway, I understand the people around me and their sometimes strange habits a little better - I have more respect.